DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – The Memorial Day tornado outbreak destroyed dozens of homes in the Old North Dayton community. The neighborhood is still rebuilding but it has come a long way.
Residents say the community continues to come together to help those impacted by the tornadoes, but the pandemic is preventing people from coming together to rebuild.
“We have to make sure everybody’s safe. We’re hoping that we get through this and are able to rebuild places that have seen such great damage,” said Mayor Nan Whaley.
She says affordable housing is a specific challenge as rebuilding continues.
- ‘The Office’ Experience makes its US debut: See inside
- Former Reds player signs autographs at sports card show
- Local delivery service co-op closes as restaurants thrive
- Best Marvel: The Eternals comics to read before the movie comes out
- ‘A Celebration of Nuts’ Black Walnut Festival returns to Camden