Brain-eating amoeba kills Texas 6-year-old

Top Stories

(KPRC/NBC News)  The city of Lake Jackson, Texas offered free cases of water Saturday afternoon after issuing a ‘Do Not Use’ water advisory that was later downgraded to a ‘Water Boil’ notice. 

The latest order will be in place until the water system is flushed and disinfected, officials said.

The ‘Do Not Use’ water advisory came after 6-year-old Josiah McIntyre contracted a rare and fatal brain-eating amoeba. 

Brazoria County Health officials said the amoeba is a parasite that is generally acquired through water.

Local and state health officials are testing the water supply in the area. They have collected 11 water samples, and three of those came back from amoeba. Those samples came from the city’s splash pad storage tank, a downtown fire hydrant and the 6-year-old’s home.

Grab the FREE WDTN News App from the Apple Store or Google play. Stay up to date with all the local news, weather and sports as well as live newscasts and events as they happen.

news-app-download-apple news-app-download-google-play

Follow Us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all the latest news, weather and sports.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video on WDTN.com

Don't Miss

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS