DAYTON, Ohio — The University of Dayton men’s basketball team defeated Detroit Mercy by a score of 98-59 on Tuesday evening at UD Arena. The Flyers trailed 11-9 early in the game, but then went on a 21-2 run to take a commanding 30-13 lead. Dayton made 13 of its first 15 shots to open the game to help the Flyers build the early 17-point advantage.
After a taking 20-point lead into halftime, Dayton opened the second half on an 11-2 run to thwart any realistic chance at a Titan comeback.
Obi Toppin led five Flyers in double figures with 22 points, which is also the most scored by a Dayton player this season. He was followed closely by Josh Cunningham and Jalen Crutcher, who scored 20 and 16, respectively, as well as Jordan Davis (13) and Ryan Mikesell (10).
1st Half: Dayton 49, Detroit Mercy 29
• The Titans came out shooting with 10 shots within the first four minutes of play compared to only four by Dayton.
• The Flyers however shot much more effectively hitting eight-of-10 compared to five-of-13 at the 12-minute mark.
• Obi Toppin continued his first-half dominance with a monster slam to give UD a 10-point lead and reach four-of-four for eight points on the half at the 10:00 mark of the opening half.
• A pair of Mikesell free throws and a Policelli dunk helped Dayton reach a 23-point lead, its largest of the half with five minutes remaining in the half.
• The Flyers scored a season-high 49 points in the first half.
• UD benefited from 30 points in the paint, while holding Detroit Mercy scoreless in the paint in the first half.
2nd Half: Dayton 98, Detroit Mercy 59
• Detroit Mercy attacked inside the paint early with 10 points in the paint in the first eight minutes after totaling zero in the first half.
• Dayton took a commanding 26-point lead around the 8-minute mark after a 6-0 run in only 48 seconds of play.
• The Titans heavily struggled from behind the arc, missing their first seven shots from range before converting their eighth attempt of the half.
• Jack Westerfield hit a deep three to close out the game with Dayton’s final and largest lead of 39 on the night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Obi Toppin achieved his second double-double of the season, reaching new career highs in points (22) and rebounds (11).
• Toppin’s eight dunks were a UD record, breaking Sean Finn’s old mark of six.
• As a team, the Flyers’ 13 dunks were also a school record.
• The Flyers defense held Detroit Mercy’s freshman pheenom Antoine Davis (29.6 ppg prior – NCAA’s second leading scorer) to his lowest scoring output of the season at 18.
• UD passing was dominant tonight with 30 assists compared to only 13 from their opponents
• Both Obi Toppin and Josh Cunningham dropped over 20 points making them the first Dayton duo to do so this season.
• Five Flyers reached double figures – Obi Toppin (22), Josh Cunningham (20 points), Jalen Crutcher (16), Jordan Davis (13) and Ryan Mikesell (10).
• The Flyers will travel to Auburn, Ala. to take on their third ranked opponent of the year in currently No. 8 Auburn on Saturday Dec. 8 at 8:30 p.m. ET.
• After exams next week, Dayton plays Tulsa in the Basketball Hall of Fame Holiday Classic at Mohegan Sun on Sunday, Dec. 16.
• UD’s next home game is against Western Michigan on Wednesday, Dec. 19.