ST. LOUIS – The University of Dayton fell on the road to Saint Louis on Tuesday Night by a score of 73-60 at Chafeitz Arena. Josh Cunningham led Dayton with 12 points and seven rebounds, while Jalen Crutcher and Obi Toppin chipped in 11 points apiece.
Dayton is now 15-8 overall and 7-3 in the Atlantic 10. The Flyers are in fourth place in the A-10.
First Half: Saint Louis 34, Dayton 22
· Saint Louis jumped out to a 10-0 lead with eight of the first 10 points coming off second-chance opportunities.
· Dayton trailed by eight points at 22-14 at the 5:36 mark following an Obi Toppin free throw, but back-to-back 3-point field goals from Fred Thatch, Jr. sparked a 12-0 scoring run for the Billikens, extending their lead all the way up to 20 points.
· The Flyers cut the deficit back to just 12 by scoring the final eight points of the first half, capped off by a Dwayne Cohill 3-pointer with just four seconds to go.
Final: Saint Louis 73, Dayton 60
· Ryan Mikesell opened up the second half with a 3-pointer and Trey Landers followed with a jumper in the paint to cut the lead to just seven coming out of halftime, but that would prove to be the closest Dayton would get for the remainder of the game.
· Following the 5-0 scoring run to start the half for UD, Saint Louis outscored the Flyers by a 14-4 margin over the next six and a half minutes to push its lead back to 17 points.
· A Cohill layup brought the Billiken lead back within single digits for the final time with 8:59 to play. After Tramaine Isabell made all three free throws when fouled on a 3-point attempt, the lead teetered between 10 and 17 points for the rest of the game.
· Javon Bess and Thatch, Jr. both made a pair of free throws in the final 1:22 to help put the game away.
By The Numbers
· Josh Cunningham led Dayton with 12 points and seven rebounds.
· Jalen Crutcher and Obi Toppin added 11 points apiece to round out the team’s scoring in double figures.
· Crutcher and Toppin also shared a team-high mark of three assists.
· Saint Louis doubled up Dayton on second-chance points by a 26-13 margin. The Billikens were aided in that category by corralling 19 offensive rebounds.
· The Billikens also made the most of turnovers committed by the Flyers, outscoring UD, 14-7, on points off turnovers.
· The Flyers actually outshot the Billikens from the floor by shooting 23-54 (43%) compared to 24-57 (42%).
· Dayton is at Rhode Island this Saturday at 4 p.m. ET, which will also be broadcast on CBS Sports Network.