DAYTON, Ohio – Held to 22 points in the first half, the University of Dayton men’s basketball team scored 48 points in the second to defeat the Saint Louis Billikens at UD Arena Saturday afternoon, 70-62.
Jalen Crutcher led the way for the Flyers with 17 points, shooting 4-of-8 from three-point range.
The four 3-pointers tied a season high for Crutcher. Dayton improves to 18-9 on the season and 10-4 in Atlantic 10 Conference play. Saint Louis falls to 17-10 on the season and 8-6 in the A-10.
First Half: Dayton 22, Saint Louis 21
· The game unfolded as a defensive battle during the half.
· The Flyers struggled from the field early and Saint Louis jumped out to a 19-9 lead halfway through the first half.
· Redshirt freshman Obi Toppin tied the Flyers’ single-season dunk record with his 66th dunk of the season at the 5:16 mark.
· Down 19-9, the Flyers went on a 7-0 run to cut the Saint Louis lead to three.
· Jalen Crutcher’s three gave the Flyers a 22-21 lead going into the half, their first since leading 5-4.
Final: Dayton 70, Saint. Louis 62
· Dayton scored on its first six possessions of the half, taking a 36-32 lead at the first media timeout.
· Dayton made 6-of-7 three-point attempts to start the half.
· The lead remained steady for the next few minutes, as both teams traded baskets.
· Trey Landers’ free throws gave the Flyers their first double-digit lead at 52-42.
· Saint Louis did not get closer than five after the eight-minute mark.
· Crutcher’s and Toppin’s back-to-back layups pushed the lead to 66-56 with 1:41 to play.
· Dayton scored 48 of its 70 points and made 16 of its 24 field goals in the half.
· UD outrebounded SLU 16-11 in the second half after losing the battle in the first half.
· Jalen Crutcher scored 14 of his 17 points in the second half.
· Four different Flyers — Crutcher, Josh Cunningham (13 points), Ryan Mikesell (12) and Obi Toppin (11) — scored in double figures for the game.
· UD outscored the Billikens 12-4 on second chance opportunities.
· In the second half, Dayton shot 16-of-24 (66.7 percent) from the field.
· Dayton made just one of its first seven three-point attempts, but then made nine of its last 15, including seven of 11 (63.6% in the second half.
· Toppin finished with a double-double, his fifth of the season.
· Josh Cunningham finish 5-of-5 from the field. This was the second consecutive game Cunningham was perfect from the floor and he has made 11 straight baskets dating back to the Davidson game.
· Dayton travels to Amherst, Mass. on Tuesday, February 26 to take on Massachusetts. The game will be streamed on ESPN+ and will be broadcast on WHIO radio.
· UD’s next home game is Friday, March 1 against Rhode Island at 7 p.m. ET.