DAVIDSON, N.C. – The University of Dayton men’s basketball team went on the road at defeated Davidson by a score of 74-73 on Tuesday night. Josh Cunningham knocked down a free throw after drawing a foul on a shot attempt with the score tied at 73-73 and 2.2 seconds remaining to give Dayton the win. The Flyers improve to 17-9 (9-4 A-10) with the victory, while the loss drops Davidson to 19-7 (10-3 A-10) on the year.
First Half: Dayton 37, Davidson 25
· Davidson’s Luka Brajkovic started the game off with a dunk to give the Wildcats the first lead, but Ryan Mikesell made a 3-pointer to put Dayton ahead 3-2 and the Flyers would hold onto the lead for the remainder of the half.
· Mikesell, Jordan Davis and Obi Toppin all connected from behind the arc in the game’s opening minutes to give Dayton an early 9-4 lead over Davidson heading into the first media timeout.
· Another Mikesell 3-pointer put Dayton ahead 25-15 at the 6:49 mark, the first double-digit lead of the game.
· Dayton led 29-22 with 4:27 to play in the first half and Josh Cunningham scored the final eight points of the half for the Flyers to give UD a 37-25 lead heading into halftime.
Final: Dayton 74, Davidson 73
· Kellan Grady made a pair of free throws at the 15:39 mark to cut Dayton’s lead back to single digits for the first time of the half at 48-39, but Jalen Crutcher converted an old-fashioned 3-point play the following possession to push the lead back to 12.
· Dayton would maintain its lead at 10 or more points for nearly 10 minutes, as Davidson didn’t cut the deficit within 10 again until Kellan Grady made a layup that made the score 66-57 with 5:13 remaining.
· Obi Toppin made two free throws with 2:41 to play to make the score 71-64 at the 2:41 mark, but Davidson would go on a 7-0 scoring run, capped by a Grady dunk, to tie the game at 71-all with 1:11 to play.
· Toppin snapped the Wildcat scoring run with a tip-in off his own miss to give Dayton a 73-71 lead with 34 seconds left, but Davidson answered, as Jon Axel Gudmundsson tied it back up on a layup with 11 seconds on the clock.
· Josh Cunningham knocked down a free throw after taking a great pass from Jalen Crutcher and drawing a foul on a layup attempt with the score tied at 73-73 and 2.2 seconds remaining to give Dayton the win.
· Davidson threw up a desperation 3-pointer as time expired, but it bounced off the rim.
· The loss for Davidson snapped a 17-game home winning streak for the Wildcats.
· Josh Cunningham (21 points), Obi Toppin (18), Jordan Davis (15) and Ryan Mikesell (10) all scored in double figures for the Flyers.
· Toppin also added a team-high 12 rebounds for his fourth double-double of the season.
· The 12 boards also matched Toppin’s career best.
· Cunningham’s 21 points were the most for the redshirt senior since he scored 25 against Richmond on Jan. 6.
· Davis knocked down a team-best four 3-pointers, which is the fifth time he has reached or surpassed that mark this season.