Officials say the car had crashed into a concrete wall Saturday evening on westbound I-80 in Richmond, Calif.
In the video, about a dozen people got out of their cars to try and pull the two occupants out of the burning car.
One person was seen using a saw to cut into the car. The driver was pulled from the car and taken to a hospital.
According to Oakland police, the driver later died at a hospital and a passenger died at the scene.
No other cars were involved.
The collision is still under investigation. It is unknown whether drugs or alcohol were a factor.
The video has been viewed more than 2 million times on Twitter.
- Community members, officials plead with Ohioans to stay home, reconsider Thanksgiving gatherings
- Melania Trump’s error puts Oregon Christmas tree farm in spotlight
- Sheriff: Florida rapper made music, then killed 2 men in recording studio
- Pennsylvania halts alcohol sales in bars, restaurants night before Thanksgiving
- Miami Valley healthcare leaders ensure hospitals are keeping up with COVID surge