(CNN) – Can’t afford your medical bills? Crowdfund it! Millions of Americans already are.
The University of Chicago’s NORC research group released a study Wednesday and found that about 20 million people in the U.S. have used sites, like GoFundMe, to pay medical bills.
Researchers found that 50 million people, about 20 percent of adults across the country, have given money to crowdfunding campaigns for medical bills or treatment.
Authors say online fundraisers are gaining popularity because of increasing health care costs even for those who have insurance.
GoFundMe says it is the leader of ‘Online Medical Fundraising,’ hosting 250 thousand such campaigns each year.
- Alabama governor on rise in COVID-19 cases: ‘It’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated’
- Newlyweds who required wedding guests to be vaccinated got to ask Biden question at Ohio town hall
- 8 pythons captured and removed from Oregon park
- ‘Beyond persuasion’: Most unvaccinated Americans likely won’t get shots, poll finds
- Germany’s female gymnasts debut Olympic outfits designed to combat sexualization, promote confidence