(CNN) – If you need help pushing through your workout, go ahead and swear.
Whether it is socially acceptable or not, cursing actually improves your athletic performance and endurance.
That according to researchers at Keele University in England, who say swearing works to support your stress response.
Studies show people on bikes who swore while peddling against resistance had more power and strength than people who used neutral words.
The experts say the resulting flush of adrenaline triggers your fight or flight response, boosting your heart rate and oxygen intake.
At the same time, swearing helps the body combat pain.
Cussing also triggers an emotional response, which can work to your benefit if you need the extra motivation.
But researchers caution that curse words seem to lose their power over pain when they are used too much.
Some of us have already been swearing during workouts.
Now, we can defend our bad manners with science.Grab the FREE WDTN News App from the Apple Store or Google play. Stay up to date with all the local news, weather and sports as well as live newscasts and events as they happen.
- Snow will make a messy commute Monday
- Scott City fourth-grader rescues another student with Heimlich maneuver
- Three men found dead in Youngstown home
- Holiday heroes in Harrison Township helping tornado victims at annual tree lighting
- Coalition of Ohio motorcycle clubs donates thousands of dollars of toys to foster children in the Miami Valley