(CNN) – Rihanna has confirmed rumors that she said no to Super Bowl 2019 to offer support to former NFL star Colin Kaepernick.
The singer, who was born Robyn Rihanna Fenty, told Vogue in an interview that she, “just couldn’t be a sellout” by performing in the half-time show.
Instead, Maroon 5 took the stage.
Fenty also said there are NFL practices that she doesn’t agree with.
Kaepernick, an ex-49ers quarterback, made headlines for kneeling during the National Anthem to protest racial inequality and police brutality.
The NFL later ruled that players can’t kneel on the field and should either stand or wait in the locker room.
- Preble Shawnee voters to decide on two levies for schools
- Morris Furniture Co., Inc to open new showrooms
- Coronavirus: National and international health procedures
- Dayton Arcade ‘ahead of schedule’ in leasing out business offices
- Police call for backup during incident on Catalpa Drive