TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Vice President Mike Pence has briefed top Democrats in Congress on the Iranian strikes on installations in Iraq holding U.S. forces.
Aides to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer both confirmed the lawmakers spoke with the vice president by telephone Tuesday.
Justin Goodman, a spokesman for Schumer, says the New York Democrat is closely monitoring the situation and is praying for the safety of service members and other personnel.
Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill tweeted that the speaker returned a call from the vice president moments after presiding over the House.
Katie Waldman, a spokeswoman for the vice president, says Pence has been in continuous contact with national security officials and made calls to congressional leadership at President Donald Trump’s direction.
- American Idol judge Luke Bryan tests positive for COVID before 1st live show
- Apple working on 2 new smart-home products, report says
- Montgomery County receives $15.8 million to provide rental assistance
- Studies show getting the COVID-19 vaccine could be annual
- Premier Health administers 100,000th dose of COVID-19 vaccine