SHADDADEH, Syria (AP) – Hundreds of American troops based in Syria have received Christmas gifts thanks to Operation Holiday Express.
This year, Santa’s sleigh and reindeer were apparently swapped for a workhorse CH-47 Chinook helicopter.
But U.S.-led coalition forces from across the border in neighboring Iraq still donned jolly red caps while delivering the gifts.
The Associated Press was on hand as a military band was also flown in to play Christmas tunes for the troops Monday.
President Donald Trump has said some of the roughly 1,000 American service members in Syria will stay to secure oil fields from any resurgence by the Islamic State group.
- Mayor praises peaceful protest in Piqua
- Lily’s Bistro gives back to protesters after window busted in Saturday night protests
- Owners of Ohio bakery arm themselves with guns as violent protesters try to get inside
- Second day of protests turn violent in Las Vegas, police arrest 103 people, 11 officers injured
- People in Youngstown gather against police brutality, racial injustice