NEW YORK (AP) — A man dressed as the children’s character Elmo has been charged with groping a 14-year-old girl who posed for a photo with him in Times Square.
The New York Post says the man, Inocente Andrade-Pacheco, has denied the allegations through his lawyer. The Post says the 54-year-old man from Passaic, New Jersey, been released without bail after his arraignment Sunday on charges including forcible touching.
Andrade-Pacheco was arrested Saturday evening. Authorities said he grabbed the girl’s buttocks.
The behavior of Times Square’s costumed characters became an issue several years ago, when police fielded scores of complaints about aggressive solicitations for tips, forced touching, assaults and grand larceny.
In response, the city passed a 2016 law restricting the street performers to designated areas on Times Square’s pedestrian plaza.
- Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree turns on, with virus restrictions
- Trump threatens to veto defense bill unless it ends protections for social media companies
- Hospitals dealing with nationwide shortage of nurses
- Walmart to eliminate $35 free shipping minimum for Walmart+ members
- Vandalia-Butler Schools returns to in-person learning Wednesday