Fire that killed 2 in Indiana apartment building blamed on smoking

U.S. & World
Emergency vehicle_121399

RICHMOND, Ind. (AP) — A fire that left two people dead and six others injured in eastern Indiana has been ruled accidental and is believed to have been started by a man smoking in his apartment.

Richmond Fire Chief Jerry Purcell says the fire appears to have started Monday evening on a futon in a fifth-floor apartment.

The 48-year-old man who lived in the apartment was found near a stairwell and was pronounced dead at the scene from smoke inhalation. A 56-year-old man who lived on the same floor was found in a stairwell. He was taken to a hospital, but later died of heart failure.

Witnesses have said flames were shooting from a window on the fifth floor

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video on WDTN.com

Don't Miss

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS