(CNN) – Nasa’s planet-hunting telescope known as TESS stands for Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite, and it may have found its first potentially habitable planet.
It’s an exoplanet called TOI 700.
According to the agency, it’s the size of Earth and is orbiting a star about 100 light-years away.
Astronomers confirmed their discovery using NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope infrared capabilities with follow-up observations.
It’s just a mere 101 lightyears away from Earth.
Scientists say that makes it possible to launch follow-up observations.
The findings were announced at the American Astronomical Society on Monday in Honolulu.
- Rescheduled 5K race held to raise money for families this winter
- Soon-to-open Gem City Market hosts community cleanup event in Dayton
- Kroc Center vaccine clinic targets Hispanic community in effort to increase vaccinations
- One person taken to hospital after car flips on its top in Dayton
- Lawsuit: Virginia police officers threatened man and his career during traffic stop