CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (AP) — New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says the national security threat level has been lifted from low to high after deadly shootings at two mosques.
New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush says death toll has increased to 49 in mosque attacks.
Four people were taken into custody, including one Australian. Ardern said none had been on any terror watch list.
Bush says a man is charged with murder in New Zealand attacks and will appear in court Saturday.
And, Bush clarified that police had found two improvised explosive devices in one car. He said they had disabled one and were in the process of disabling the second.
The security threat level is now at the second-highest level. She said authorities had no reason to believe there were more suspects, but “we are not assuming that at this stage.”
A man who claimed responsibility for the shootings described anti-immigrant views in a manifesto.
Ardern said, “These are people who I would describe as having extremist views, that have absolutely no place in New Zealand.”
Prime Minister Ardern says the shootings appear to have been a well-planned “terrorist attack.”
She said earlier Friday that migrants and refugees appeared to be most affected by the shootings.
A man who claimed responsibility for the attack said he was a 28-year-old Australian and described anti-immigrant motives in a manifesto.
Thirty fatalities occurred at the Masjid Al Noor mosque in central Christchurch. Seven of the dead were inside the suburban Linwood Masjid Mosque and three died outside the same mosque.