Woman says nephew rescued his family before dying in fire

Ohio
fire-truck_1521727863085.jpg

NEWARK, Ohio (AP) — A woman says her nephew died in a house fire in Ohio after rescuing his family from the burning home and going back to search for the family’s blind and deaf dog.

Authorities say 24-year-old Carl Aeby Jr. died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the fire Sunday in Hanover Township in Licking County. Fire officials say they saw heavy fire coming from the home when they were called around 4:30 a.m. Sunday and found Aeby’s body inside.

Aeby’s aunt, Valarie Hartsough, told The Advocate in Newark that her nephew “died a hero” after getting his wheelchair-bound father and other family members out of the home. They weren’t injured.

The Ohio State Fire Marshal’s office says investigators believe the fire possibly started from an unspecified electrical failure. The investigation is continuing.

Grab the FREE WDTN News App for iPhone or Android. Stay up to date with all the local news, weather and sports as well as live newscasts and events as they happen.

news-app-download-apple-350x50
news-app-download-android-350x50

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for all the latest news, weather and sports.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

9-4 donate dayton strong

Latest Video on WDTN.com

Only on WDTN.com | Phil Wiedenheft

More Phil Wiedenheft

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS