Some of the video contained in this story may be disturbing to some viewers. The video contained here has been edited to remove identifying information and graphic material.
CINCINNATI (AP) — New security footage shows a gunman who killed three people in a downtown Cincinnati office high-rise firing randomly while carrying a briefcase with hundreds of rounds of ammunition.
The footage released Friday also shows the shooter walking quickly past a security turnstile Thursday morning just as he’s shot and killed by a police officer outside the building.
He says the shooter’s gun jammed at one point during the four-minute rampage. In a briefcase he carried during the attack, Cincinnati police said they found more than 200 rounds of ammunition.
While early reports said Perez entered the building from the loading dock, Cincinnati’s police chief said Perez entered through the front of the building. Multiple security cameras showed the gunman dressed in business attire and holding a 9 mm handgun he purchased legally. He fired 35 rounds in four minutes and 28 seconds.
Police say they don’t know why 29-year-old Omar Enrique Santa Perez decided to open fire in the building. They say he never worked there and an apartment search hasn’t turned up any answers so far. An aunt of his described him as “very quiet.”
Richard Newcomer a 64-year-old contractor, Luis Felipe Calderon a 48-year old bank employee and Pruthvi Raj Kandepi a 25-year-old contractor died in the attack. Two remain hospitalized.
If you missed the news conference live you can watch what the Police Chief said above and what the Cincinnati Mayor had to say here.