Man settles with rafting center over daughter’s amoeba death


COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The father of an Ohio woman who died after being exposed to a rare brain-eating amoeba at a North Carolina whitewater rafting center has settled a wrongful-death complaint.

The Columbus Dispatch reports a federal lawsuit in Lauren Seitz’s death was settled Tuesday in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The 18-year-old Seitz, of Westerville, died 11 days after being thrown overboard and going underwater at the U.S. National Whitewater Center during a 2016 church trip. The lawsuit was originally filed in Columbus and was subsequently transferred to U.S. District Court in Charlotte.

The Charlotte Observer reports the center denied responsibility for Seitz’s death but then closed the rafting feature for cleaning after a federal epidemiologist concluded its filtration and disinfection systems were inadequate.

A spokesman for the center declined to comment.

Grab the FREE WDTN News App for iPhone or Android. Stay up to date with all the local news, weather and sports as well as live newscasts and events as they happen.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for all the latest news, weather and sports.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Tornado Recovery

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS