(NBC) – An Ohio doctor charged with 25 counts of murder appeared in court Wednesday.
The Columbus-area Mount Carmel Health System found that William Husel ordered excessive painkillers for dozens of hospital patients who died.
A defense attorney has said the now-fired doctor was providing comfort care for dying patients.
Husel has pleaded not guilty.
Joining Husel’s defense team is Florida-based attorney Jose Baez.
Baez is known for defending high-profile clients such as Casey Anthony and Aaron Hernandez.
In related lawsuits, Mount Carmel Health System reached settlements totaling 13.5 million dollars.
It also fired 23 nurses, pharmacists and managers after its review.
- Budget nominee Neera Tanden withdraws nomination amid opposition
- New York is ready for a new governor in 2022, NewsNation poll finds
- Organizers talk impact of Bellbrook Sugar Maple Festival Cancellation
- ‘Cause once you’re dead that’s a bit too late’: Dolly Parton gets vaccine, rewrites lyrics to a popular song
- Report labels the best and worst states for children during the pandemic