CDC: Food left at unsafe temperature led to 647 sicknesses at Powell Chipotle

Ohio
Chipotle_reopens_in_Ohio_after_reports_o_0_20180801101851

POWELL, OH (WCMH) — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says tests confirmed clostridium perfringens caused hundreds of people to get sick after eating at a Powell area Chipotle last month.

Clostridium perfringens is a food borne disease that occurs when food is left at unsafe temperatures.

A specific food has not been identified as the source of illness. The CDC is still testing additional samples.

“I am extremely proud of our team! This investigation included countless hours of phone calls and interviews along with multiple inspections. We are also appreciative of our community for being very cooperative during this investigation and for understanding our work in protecting the public’s health. We are also thankful for the work of our partners at the Ohio Department of Health and the CDC,” said Delaware County Health Commissioner Shelia Hiddleson. 

In response to the outbreak, Chipotle’s CEO Brian Niccol said the company “will be retraining all restaurant employees nationwide beginning next week on food safety and wellness protocols.”

Health District staff identified 647 people who reported gastrointestinal symptoms after eating from the Chipotle on Sawmill Parkway between July 26-July 30. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

9-4 donate dayton strong

Latest Video on WDTN.com

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS