Officials: ‘bad information’ caused gas leak on Wayne Ave.

News
9-12 Dayton gas-leak_190711

DAYTON (WDTN) – Crews have shut off the gas line that caused a gas leak in Dayton.

It happened in the 200 block of Wayne Avenue.

Officials say “bad information” was given to work crews that gas had been shut off in the vacant building; however, gas was still running. Dayton Fire District Chief Rennes Bowers says the line had been cut at the meter.

“We get gas in buildings all the time. But they normally shut it off at the meter inside the building and it takes care of the problem,” he said.

Nobody was injured from the gas leak.

The gas leak filled the entire building, according to Dayton Fire officials.

Noah’s Ark Daycare–located across the street–wasn’t evacuated.

“Wind currents were helping us out there. It was keeping it away from the school. We had people monitoring that. We thought the safest thing to do was keep them in place, keep them inside the building,” he said.

Vectren, Dayton Fire and Police are all on the scene. RTA is rerouting buses in that area.

People are urged to avoid the area, if possible, as crews work to evaluate the situation further.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video on WDTN.com

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS