DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – A woman pleaded not guilty in court Thursday after authorities found her grandmother’s body hidden in the basement of a Dayton home back in January.
Stacie Wheeler pleaded not guilty to grand theft, misuse of credit cards, and gross abuse of a corpse.
The remains of 89-year-old Mary Lauhon were found in the basement of a house on Virginia Avenue.
Prosecutors say Lauhon was Wheeler’s grandmother, and that she kept her grandmother’s body in a tub in the basement while she collected her social security checks.
Wheeler is due back in court December 19.
- Poll: More than 50 percent of Ohio restaurants could close within 9 months
- Stein Mart files for bankruptcy amid pandemic turmoil
- Kentucky Derby races on with updated public safety measures in place
- OSU cuts class sizes, will test on-campus students weekly to fight COVID-19
- Media mogul Sumner Redstone dies at 97