DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) — A woman and her dog were able to escape from a house fire in Dayton Wednesday morning.
Firefighters responded to reports of a fire at a single-story house on Woodbine Avenue, between Buffalo Street and Catskill Lane around 6 a.m. Wednesday.
When crews arrived, they found flames coming through the roof of the house. The house was heavily damaged in the fire, with fire officials deeming it a near total loss.
Family members tell 2 NEWS the woman and dog were home when the fire started. Everyone else living at the house was at work.
According to the family, the woman woke up and smelled smoke. Moments later she saw sparks coming from the fuse box before it caught on fire. At that point, the woman and dog left the house, before the woman called 911.
No one was injured. Fire officials say the woman declined help from the Red Cross.
DP&L and Vectren crews were called to the scene to deal with any power and gas issues caused by the fire. Fire officials say that is standard procedure.
A neighboring house suffered exposure damage to its siding due to the fire. A vehicle parked in the driveway was damaged as well.
Fire officials say investigators are working to determine if the fuse box was a factor in the fire.