UPDATE: Cigarette to blame for fire at Dayton high-rise

Local News
8-17 dayton towers 2_1534533534393.jpg.jpg

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Authorities responded to an apartment building in Dayton on Friday afternoon for a report of a fire.

Firefighters on scene told 2 NEWS that burn marks found on a couch in one of the apartments indicate that someone had been smoking and at one point must have dropped their cigarette, which caused the couch to catch fire.

The tenant initially tried to put out the flames herself, but automatic fire alarms notified area officials of the situation.

Three people were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but all three declined to be transported to the hospital.

The building did not have to be completely evacuated but many tenants did evacuate. Firefighters say in some cases it is better to keep people in place while they handle the situation instead of bringing everyone out through heavy smoke.

District Chief Paul Raisch with the Dayton Fire Department says if you are going to smoke, it’s best not to do so in such an enclosed area.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video on WDTN.com

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS