UNION, Ohio (WDTN) — A mom with six children with special needs is in desperate need of some home repairs.
Jean Henry has six children ranging in age from 14 to 43. She’s adopted each one and each one has special needs.
“They do as much for me, I feel like, you know, as I do for them,” smiles Jean. “They’re great kids. They’re their own reward. They really are.”
Caring for her family is a full-time job, with little time to focus on anything else.
“As a family it’s just very difficult to tend to keep the maintenance on things,” admits Jean.
In order to bring her home up to the city’s standards, she has to make several repairs. Her home needs some major work both inside and out. Realizing the challenge, three of her high school friends organized a task force to help with the process.
“There were a lot of things on the list that the City of Union had asked us to take care of,” says Jill Sanders, one of Jean’s friends who’s helping to organize donations.
The three set up a GoFundMe page and reached out to the community for support.
“We’ve received roughly $20K in work, and fixtures, pieces and parts,” says Jill.
With a pool of resources and donations, the entire front of Jean’s house has a new look, complete with new windows. Brush and debris have been cleared from her yard, and there’s a newly built ramp on the back patio to allow for easier access for her children with special mobility needs.
“I’ve been overwhelmed with just the work here,” smiles Jean.
While a lot of progress has been made, a lot still needs to be done.
“We’re so passionate about getting this done for someone that works so hard for people who really need her to,” says Jill.
The city of Union has given Jean until August 29 to make repairs to the outside of her house.
Here’s the list of work that still needs to be completed:
- Powerwashing – Sparkle Home Washing – Ben Thompson
- The facial and soffits are waiting to be wrapped – The Harts
- The gutters replaced – G-Utter Perfection Gutters – Steve Smith
- Kitchen cabinets – Trotwood Lowe’s
- Installation – Sue Morgan and Kevin (Sue’s brother)
- Sink to be purchased
- Countertops – Creative Countertops
- Flooring – ML Dunn – Murray Greenberg
- Appliances at manufacturer’s cost
- Electrical and plumbing work inside
- Replacement of washer/dryer
- Bathroom remodels
For other ways to help, contact Jill Sanders via email at: email@example.com
Here’s a list of work already completed:
- Trees are down and hauled away – St Vincent de Paul / The Diller Family
- Backyard is accessible by ramps for the wheelchairs – Deb & Ted Stahl of Community Table
- Most of the outdoor lighting has been replaced – Dillard Electric / Dan and Dave Dillard
- Fences have been repaired – Dave Morgan
- Brush, bushes and weeds are down and hauled away – Sue Morgan
- All assorted stuff in the backyard is gone – Dave Morgan
- Soffits are repaired – Rehabs R US – Andres Rodriguez
- The garage door is repaired and the opener replaced – Doors Galore – Jame McGrath
- All windows have been replaced and the issues around the window repaired – Jim and Maggie Hart
- Old shutters are gone and new siding has been put in place- Jim and Maggie Hart
- Plumbing – The rusty spigot and the leaky toilet along with cutting down the pipe in the front yard – no help – full cost paid
- Zero-carbon by 2050? New Energy Secretary’s clean energy goal worries oil and gas industry advocates
- What were those mysterious lights over Las Vegas?
- US declined to prosecute Trump transport chief after inspector general review
- Alamo Drafthouse movie theater chain files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy because of pandemic
- SpaceX Starship SN10 explodes after nailing landing