Students and their chaperones loaded onto charter busses and left Troy Memorial Stadium for Washington, D.C. Sunday night.
The trip was originally booked and paid for by families at Van Cleve Elementary through the Ohio based company Discovery Tours. Earlier this month, the company abruptly shut down operations and canceled the tour. It did not give families their money back or offer any alternatives, according to the school district.
World Strides, another tour company stepped in to help, ultimately paying for their entire trip after hearing about what happened.
Families were excited to see their children finally on their way the nation’s capital.Many were worried the trip wouldn’t happen after the original tour company disappeared on them.
Close to 200 students and their chaperones made the trip. The length of the visit is a bit shorter than originally planned. Even so, parents said they were happy the trip was happening at all.
“The kids had a lot of ups and downs. It was a really quick let down then a real quick uplift so it was really good to see everything happening,” said Jason Studebaker who has a son going on the trip. His eldest daughter took the trip to Washington, D.C. with the school several years ago and he hopes his youngest daughter will also go someday.
Students head back here to Troy on Thursday.
Attorney General Mike DeWine has filed a lawsuit against Discovery Tours. He is asking a court to mandate the company give families their money back.