XENIA, Ohio (WDTN) — A Xenia High School student is in custody for allegedly making threats against the school.
Police say the student in question spoke with officers on the phone, then turned himself in to authorities just after 9 a.m. Monday.
The 16-year-old male is incarcerated at Greene County Juvenile Detention, where he is charged with inducing panic.
Authorities say a parent called police just before 7 a.m. to report the threat. The threat happened just as the high school and junior high school were opening.
Police and school officials worked together to initiate the school’s emergency response plan, locking down the high school.
Xenia Police Captain Alonzo Wilson says the threat was deemed credible, with the student claiming they would bring a gun to school. Police say when the student turned himself in to authorities, he did not have a weapon.
Officers searched the school and determined the student that made the alleged threat was not at the school.
Police and school officials began evacuation procedures to remove all students to a safe location. Authorities say no one at the school was injured and there was never any danger at the school.
Xenia Community Schools closed the elementary and preschools due to the investigation.
Xenia High School is closed Monday. The closure information was posted on the school’s athletic Twitter page.
Some students had already arrived at school before the closure was announced. Those students were being taken by bus to a nearby church for pickup, according to a parent.
A parent told 2 NEWS she received a “One Call” from the school with instructions for student pickup. She said parents are not able to pick up students at the school.
Superintendent Dr. Gabriel Lofton released a statement, saying:
This morning we received notice of a student who posed a credible threat to our students at Xenia High School. Upon notice, we immediately initiated our Emergency Management Plan. The high school, Warner and other elementaries went on a lockdown. The student in question was not at the High School however, for safety precautions we moved forward with initiating appropriate safety measures. For today, February 4, we have cancelled all high school classes. We have closed all elementary schools and the preschool. Warner is still in session and students are safe. Parents are more than welcome to pick up their children if desired. High School students have either been picked up by their parents at our reunification site or have been transported home.
There is no longer a threat to our students or staff.
I am proud of our staff and community for reacting appropriately and swiftly to the situation to keep our students safe. Additionally, the Xenia Police Department and other law enforcement agencies responded accordingly and were extremely helpful.
As always, we will continue to be diligent about our response to potential safety concerns, and take these issues extremely serious.
All after school activities are on as scheduled.
Again, we would like to thank our community for your support and your cooperation.
In a post on its Facebook page, the school reports parents may pick students up at the elementary school. Warner is still open, but parents can pick up their students from this school if they wish. All buses that were en route to the elementary schools were rerouted with children being returned home.
High school buses that were on the way to the school were rerouted to a safe location. All of those students are being bused home. Students who don’t ride the bus can be picked up at 100 Country Club Drive.
The incident remains under investigation by the Xenia Police Department.