SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (WDTN) – A local middle/high school dismissed early on Monday due to high levels of carbon monoxide in the building but a release from Clark-Shawnee Local Schools said classes will resume Tuesday.
The Clark-Shawnee School District said that Shawnee Middle/High School dismissed early due to high levels of carbon monoxide that were discovered Monday morning when a teacher reported a suspicious odor. The Springfield Township Fire Department tested it and confirmed there were unsafe levels of carbon monoxide.
Student drivers were dismissed by 11:30 am while bus riders were dismissed once all buses arrive on site.
The superintendent, Brian Kuhn, said the investigation led to discovering a boiler system that only feeds one corner of the school was the source of the leak.
Kuhn said they used the fire alarms to evacuate students around 10:30 a.m. and used their one call system, social media, and website to notify parents to come around noon to pick up their children.
Some students told 2 NEWS they were not able to go back in the building following the evacuation, so many left phones, car keys, and school items inside.
The middle and high school will be open on Tuesday. The district’s maintenance staff and repair company were able to find the source of the leak and are addressing the issue.
The schools were open from 4 p.m until 6 p.m. Monday for students to pick up their belongings.
Kuhn said there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the building, but added that ongoing renovations at the building will change that.
The middle/high school is currently undergoing a massive gutting, Kuhn said the inside will be all new, with brand new systems, including boilers, that are set to be done in November 2020.