KETTERING, Ohio (WDTN) — A Kettering Fairmont High School student has been charged after a social media threat was made against the school Monday evening.
The 14-year-old freshman student was charged with Inducing Panic, which is a second-degree felony, according to Kettering Police Chief Christopher Protsman.
“The motive for that, after our detectives interviewed this young man, was he made the threat because he did not want to attend school today,” Protsman said. “There was no correlation, no connection to anything that happened last week.”
This threat came almost one week after another threat was called into the school, with an arrest made during that threat investigation.
Protsman said that weapons were recovered in the house of the suspect, but the police department does not believe there was any intent for use.
“With the apprehension of the perpetrator, the Kettering Police Department is confident that the safety issue caused by the threat has been mitigated,” said the school district in an email announcing the arrest.
As police looked into the social media threat, Kettering Fairmont High School was set to be closed Tuesday, May 9. The district said classes will remain canceled for the day. However, all after-school activities will take place as scheduled.
“The disruption to the school day for 2,400 students and our staff members, the emotional toll these actions take on our families and community, and the sheer drain on manpower needed to handle this situation will not be tolerated,” said the district. “We renew our pledge to pursue school disciplinary action and any and all legal actions against the perpetrator.”