DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – An armed robbery suspect was shot and killed by a Dollar General store clerk in Dayton Wednesday evening.
Sgt. Schloss with the Dayton Police Department tells 2 NEWS that a man entered the store located at 2228 North Gettysburg Avenue around 6:20 pm and pointed a handgun at the worker, demanding money.
The clerk then pulled out a gun and shot the suspect in self-defense, police say, adding that the employee was allowed to be in possession of the weapon.
The suspect tried to flee but collapsed just outside the front doors of the store, where he was pronounced dead.
Montgomery County Coroner Dr. Kent Harshbarger identified the suspect Thursday as 23-year-old Roosevelt Rappley of Dayton.
Homicide detective responded to the scene and are conducting an ongoing investigation into the incident.
No other injuries were reported.
- Dayton Police shutdown parts of Demphle Ave., Nassau St. for ongoing investigation
- Miami Valley colleges cancel Johnson & Johnson vaccine clinics, slows down campus vaccine efforts
- E.T. Highway has welcomed Earthlings for 25 years
- Police: Woman breaks into Michigan home, climbs into bed with couple
- Expert says Chauvin was justified in pinning down George Floyd