DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – An armed robbery suspect was shot and killed by a Dollar General store clerk in Dayton Wednesday evening.
Sgt. Schloss with the Dayton Police Department tells 2 NEWS that a man entered the store located at 2228 North Gettysburg Avenue around 6:20 pm and pointed a handgun at the worker, demanding money.
The clerk then pulled out a gun and shot the suspect in self-defense, police say, adding that the employee was allowed to be in possession of the weapon.
The suspect tried to flee but collapsed just outside the front doors of the store, where he was pronounced dead.
Montgomery County Coroner Dr. Kent Harshbarger identified the suspect Thursday as 23-year-old Roosevelt Rappley of Dayton.
Homicide detective responded to the scene and are conducting an ongoing investigation into the incident.
No other injuries were reported.Grab the FREE WDTN News App from the Apple Store or Google play. Stay up to date with all the local news, weather and sports as well as live newscasts and events as they happen.
- America’s cars could soon stop drunk drivers from driving at all
- Trump rule may mean 1 million kids lose automatic free lunch
- NASA asks Congress for more money to get back to the moon
- Study links seasonal allergies to crime rate
- Sheriff’s Office receives donation for new K-9 in honor of fallen officer