DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – An armed robbery suspect was shot and killed by a Dollar General store clerk in Dayton Wednesday evening.
Sgt. Schloss with the Dayton Police Department tells 2 NEWS that a man entered the store located at 2228 North Gettysburg Avenue around 6:20 pm and pointed a handgun at the worker, demanding money.
The clerk then pulled out a gun and shot the suspect in self-defense, police say, adding that the employee was allowed to be in possession of the weapon.
The suspect tried to flee but collapsed just outside the front doors of the store, where he was pronounced dead.
Montgomery County Coroner Dr. Kent Harshbarger identified the suspect Thursday as 23-year-old Roosevelt Rappley of Dayton.
Homicide detective responded to the scene and are conducting an ongoing investigation into the incident.
No other injuries were reported.
- Several Brown Street businesses forced to close early due to water main break
- 15 arrested in California child sex sting – including highway patrol officer, prison employee
- Can Congress save the live music industry before it’s too late?
- New stimulus check plan would give even more money to families
- Bars recap first weekend of 10 p.m. last call order, calling it “latest blow”