DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – An armed robbery suspect was shot and killed by a Dollar General store clerk in Dayton Wednesday evening.
Sgt. Schloss with the Dayton Police Department tells 2 NEWS that a man entered the store located at 2228 North Gettysburg Avenue around 6:20 pm and pointed a handgun at the worker, demanding money.
The clerk then pulled out a gun and shot the suspect in self-defense, police say, adding that the employee was allowed to be in possession of the weapon.
The suspect tried to flee but collapsed just outside the front doors of the store, where he was pronounced dead.
Montgomery County Coroner Dr. Kent Harshbarger identified the suspect Thursday as 23-year-old Roosevelt Rappley of Dayton.
Homicide detective responded to the scene and are conducting an ongoing investigation into the incident.
No other injuries were reported.Grab the FREE WDTN News App from the Apple Store or Google play. Stay up to date with all the local news, weather and sports as well as live newscasts and events as they happen.
- 10 ex-NFL players charged with defrauding healthcare program
- Multiple cars broken into in Tipp City neighborhood
- Judge to rule next month on trapped teen’s family’s lawsuit
- Ward Trial Day 3: Witness says Ward assaulted her after date in trooper uniform
- VIDEO: Person of interest wanted in connection with cell phone store robbery