PREBLE COUNTY, Ohio (WDTN) – Three people are dead after a crash involving four vehicles on I-70 westbound near the Ohio/Indiana line in Preble County.
According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, 71-year-old Richard Shiverdecker and his wife, 65-year-old Karen Shiverdecker, both of Lewisburg, were killed after their Chevy Trail Blazer was involved in the crash. The semi truck driver that died in the crash has been identified as 68-year-old Robert Fryklund of Abbotsford, Wisc.
Also involved in the crash were David Nazzaro, 40, of Litiz, Penn. and Kevin Kabay, 44, of Alberta, Canada, who were both driving semi trucks with trailers. OSP says that Kabay stopped in traffic due to construction, followed by Nazzoro behind him and Shiverdecker stopping behind Nazzoro. Fryklund failed to assure clear distance, hitting Shiverdecker’s vehicle in the rear, causing him to rear-end Nazzoro, who rear-ended Kabay.
As a result of the crash, Shiverdecker’s Chevy Trail Blazer went off the road and overturned, ejecting both Shiverdecker and his wife.
Shiverdecker and his wife were pronounced dead at the scene. Fryklund was transported by Med-flight to Kettering Hospital where he died. Nazzoro sustained minor injuries and was transported to Reid Hospital, where he was treated and released. Kabay was not injured.
Alcohol and drugs are not suspected to factors in the crash.
I-70 westbound was completely shut down for several hours until crews could clear the scene.
- Several Brown Street businesses forced to close early due to water main break
- 15 arrested in California child sex sting – including highway patrol officer, prison employee
- Can Congress save the live music industry before it’s too late?
- New stimulus check plan would give even more money to families
- Bars recap first weekend of 10 p.m. last call order, calling it “latest blow”