Coroner: No shots fired by Dayton PD struck suspect during deadly shooting

Local News

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) — A man is dead after an officer-involved shooting in Dayton early Tuesday.

At roughly 12:34 am, a Dayton officer was on routine patrol when he a saw a man sitting in a green Jeep Grand Cherokee who matched the description of a suspect wanted in connection with a homicide investigation regarding a woman found dead in a South Hedges Street home. The suspect was spotted in the parking lot of the Shell station located at 4046 Free Pike.

When the officer approached the man, he confirmed his identity as that of the wanted suspect.

The officer asked him to get out of the car, at which point the man reached into his waistband and pulled out a gun and fired at least one round.

The officer returned fire, discharging at least four shots.

He then issued a call for backup from additional officers in the area.

Backup arrived on the scene and secured the suspect’s weapon, issuing first aid immediately until medics arrived.

He was taken to Grandview Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead.

Erik Evans

He has since been identified as 32-year-old Erik Michael Evans. Evans has been arrested several times since 2005 for offenses including weapons under disability, improperly handling a firearm in a vehicle, possession of a controlled substance, assault, and felonious assault.

However, Coroner Kent Harshbarger conducted an autopsy and determined that the suspect died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. No rounds fired by the officer struck the man.

The officer has been identified as Ofc. Conner Matlock, who was sworn in in August of 2017.

Dayton Police Assistant Chief Eric Henderson said Ofc. Matlock did not turn on his dashcam prior to the incident unfolding. Police records show Ofc. Matlock was reprimaded in January 2018 for turning his in-car recorder off multiple times while responding to a pursuit. Assistant Chief Henderson said the in this case, Ofc. Matlock did not have enough time to turn on his camera.

“There was information that this individual was armed. Obviously, we would like for our officers to activate their cameras as much as they can but at the same time we want to make sure they are able to properly respond and protect any innocent citizen or themselves,” Henderson said.

The Dayton Homicide Unit will conduct an investigation into the shooting and the Professional Standards Bureau will conduct an administrative investigation.

Per standard procedure, the officer involved has been placed on administrative leave.

Henderson said they did not have an identity or any information regarding the woman found dead in the South Hedges Street home. An autopsy was scheduled for her on Tuesday.

“There’s still a lot of leg work that needs to be done in that investigation. So, I don’t want to speculate. We can provide some updates when we can provide additional information. There may be other individuals potentially involved so I don’t want to disclose any information that will impede that investigation,” Henderson said.

Grab the FREE WDTN News App from the Apple Store or Google play. Stay up to date with all the local news, weather and sports as well as live newscasts and events as they happen.

news-app-download-apple news-app-download-google-play

Follow Us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all the latest news, weather and sports.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video on

Don't Miss

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS