SIDNEY, Ohio (WDTN) – Police arrested the man suspected of shooting a Sidney officer Thursday.

According to police at the scene, Brandon Steele was arrested around 3 p.m. at a home. Police had surrounded the home near the police station earlier in the afternoon. Sidney Police Chief William Balling said Steele was indicted by the Shelby County court on two felony charges of felonious assault on a police officer.

  • 10-7-sidney-suspect-surrenders
  • 10-7-sidney-suspect-surrenders-5
  • 10-7-sidney-suspect-surrenders-4
  • 10-7-sidney-suspect-surrenders-3
  • 10-7-sidney-suspect-surrenders-2
  • 10-7-sidney-suspect-arrested

Steele is accused of shooting Sergeant Tim Kennedy. Balling said Kennedy is stable, but still in the hospital as of Monday, Oct. 11.

“It’s gonna take a while,” said Balling. “He’s gonna be off work awhile, he’s gonna have some physical therapy to come back from, but we surely hope he comes back stronger than ever because he’s definitely an asset to our department.”


SIDNEY, Ohio (WDTN) – The search for a suspect continues after a Sidney Police Officer was shot late Wednesday night.

Brandon Steele

Sidney Police told 2 NEWS the officer shot was Sergeant Tim Kennedy. Kennedy has been with the department since 2007.

It happened around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday when officers were serving a felony warrant at a home on Lynn Street, near Highland Avenue.

Sidney Police Chief William Balling said the suspect, identified as 34-year-old Brandon Steele, saw the officers and ran. Moments later, he turned and fired at two officers, diving into a wooded area when officers returned fire.

Balling said Steele came out of the wooded area at a different location and fired at Sgt. Kennedy, hitting him twice, once in the abdomen and once in the lower leg. Steele then fled the area. Sgt. Kennedy was taken to Miami Valley Hospital and underwent surgery. Balling said the operation lasted several hours and went well. Kennedy will remain in the hospital for several days, according to Balling.

Steele got away and remains at large. He stands 6’2″ and weighs around 185 pounds.

Chief Balling issued a call for Steele to turn himself in and to avoid any further violence. The Chief also called for anyone who knows where Steele could be found to call the police. Balling stressed that Steele can turn himself in at any police department. Balling also said the community is fearful to leave their homes or send their children to school and the department want to make sure the community and their officers are safe.

The shooting led to a large law enforcement presence and search at the scene. Agencies involved included Sidney Police, Fort Loramie Police, the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office, and the Ohio State Highway Patrol. A helicopter could be heard overhead, and officers in tactical gear, including a K9 unit, were seen searching the area near the scene of the shooting.

Sidney City Schools closed Thursday due to the shooting. The District posted this message on its website:


Sidney City Schools will be closed today (October 7) due to a shooting incident NOT involving our schools. The shooter involved is at-large. Please look for updates through local news sources and/or the City of Sidney.

Sidney City Schools

Sidney City Schools also canceled all evening activities, including practices, games and the Homecoming Parade. Holy Angels Catholic School in Sidney is also closed Thursday.

2 NEWS will update this developing story as we receive more information.