The mother of a 2-year-old shot and killed is opening up after a 13-year-old is charged in connection with her son’s death. The toddler’s father is also facing charges.

34-year-old Jamahl Evans–the father of 2-year-old Jvontae Johnston–is being held at the Montgomery County Jail on a weapons charge. Meanwhile, a 13-year-old relative is facing a reckless homicide charge after police say the teen accidentally shot and killed 2-year-old Jvontae at his home Monday.

Jvontae’s mother Jessica Johnston says she’s devastated, trying to understand how this happened.

“It was hard,” Johnston said. “No parent wants to hear that about their child.”

Johnston is standing by her family as they remember her son 2-year-old Jvontae Johnston.

“It feels good to have my family here with me,” Johnston said. “Because I need it right now. I really do need it right now. Especially going through something like this. I’ve never lost a child.”

Johnston says Jvontae was a child with an energetic personality, who loved to play football and loved balloons, which now make up his memorial. Stuffed animals and candles sit outside the home on Wheeler Avenue in Harrison Township, where authorities say Monday a 13-year-old relative accidentally shot and killed the little boy.

The 13-year-old is now being charged with reckless homicide.

 “Now he has to suffer the consequences,” Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer said Tuesday at a press conference. “Of the criminal justice system and hopefully they can get him some help. He’s going to need some help, some counseling in life. Just a tragedy.”

The gun used in the shooting was in the possession of Jvontae’s father 34-year-old Jamahl Evans, who is a convicted felon, and, therefore, not allowed to own a fire arm.

He’s currently in the Montgomery County Jail facing a weapons charge. Evans was previously convicted of assault and drug charges in 2013.

The Sheriff’s Office says it unclear how Evans obtained the gun, but say he appeared to be running a drug operation out of the home. Monday, investigators recovered two handguns and marijuana from the home.

Johnston–who wasn’t home at the time of the shooting–says the tragedy could have easily been prevented.

“People should keep their guns put up,” Johnston said. “Keep them put up. It should have never been in reach.”

Evans will be in federal court Friday for a detention hearing.

As for the family, a GoFundMe page has been set up to help them with funeral expenses. If you would like to donate, click here.