DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Montgomery County Sheriff Rob Streck held a press conference Wednesday to give an update on an officer involved shooting that happened over the weekend.
Streck said that Deputy Jennifer Smiley, a 19 year veteran, was hospitalized after the incident Sunday.
During the press conference, Streck explained that Smiley responded to a call at Possum Creek Metropark because she was closer than the rangers.
On the scene, a man approached her from the woods who was wet and holding a clear gallon jug of undetermined liquid that is believed to be gasoline.
PLEASE NOTE: The video above has been edited for graphic content. Some viewers may find the graphic material in this video disturbing.
The man was mumbling incoherently throughout the incident. On multiple occasions he asked Smiley to shoot him.
After asking him to stop over 30 times, the man lunged at Smiley and she fired her gun into his abdomen.
He is not in police custody and is in the hospital recovering.
- Dayton Police: 15 arrested after protests
- Mayor Whaley announces curfew for downtown
- Ohio order signed to reopen daycare centers; officially reopen Sunday
- National Guard activated, moving into Columbus; curfew announced
- Rep. Joyce Beatty, Columbus City Council President Hardin pepper-sprayed during protest