MIAMI TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WDTN) – Police in Miami Township are investigating after a man stole a car at gunpoint.
The carjacking happened in the Dayton Mall parking lot near the Macy’s entrance.
According to regional dispatch, a man with a gun forced his way into a black Buick and drove off, leading police on a chase. The suspect was last seen driving northbound on I-75.
“With all the traffic in that area right before Thanksgiving, you can imagine how congested it was which makes it even harder for us to get through and get to somebody,” said Miami Township Police Officer Pat McCoy.
Police said that the stolen car is a black Buick with tinted windows, chrome trim, and chrome wheels.
Dayton Mall employees and customers say there were shocked by news of the carjacking.
Officer McCoy is reminding people to stay vigilant while in crowded, public areas. However, he says a crime like this could happen anywhere and it should not discourage people from shopping at the Dayton Mall.
“Unfortunately this happened at the Dayton Mall. That’s not to say that the Dayton Mall is unsafe because it isn’t. It is a safe place. It’s just, these things happen,” said Officer McCoy.
Police are still looking for the suspect.
- COVID-19 outbreak identified at Preble County rehabilitation center
- Man shot, hit by car near Dunbar High School
- DLM associate wins Ohio Best Bagger competition broadcasted on ESPN
- Dayton Sewing Collaborative donating masks to students for back-to-school season
- One person shot near Grandview Medical Center