AUGLAIZE COUNTY, Ohio (WDTN) – A Lima man is dead after a crash on SR-501 Thursday afternoon.
Around 12:15 pm, the Wapakoneta Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol responded to reports of a two-vehicle crash on SR-501 at Infirmary Road just north of Wapakoneta.
Initial investigation suggests that a 2005 Chevrolet Impala driven by 86-year-old Charles Mayer, of Lima, was headed westbound on Infirmary Road and stopped at a stop sign for SR-501.
He failed to yield the right of way to a 2013 Chrysler Town and Country minivan, which was headed northbound.
The Impala was hit in the driver’s side door by the Chrysler.
Mayer was extricated from the vehicle by the Wapakoneta Fire Department and taken to St. Rita’s Medical Center by Wapakoneta EMS, where he later died.
The driver of the minivan was treated at the scene for non-life threatening injuries.
All occupants were wearing their seatbelts and alcohol is not believed to be a factor.
The crash remains under investigation.
- US adds 4.8 million jobs as unemployment falls to 11.1%
- Closing bars to stop coronavirus spread is backed by science
- Officers get down and dirty to save deaf and blind dog from sewer
- Whipping post removed from Delaware courthouse square
- Montgomery County Sheriff and OVI Task Force to have two OVI checkpoints over July 4 weekend