DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) — Some people run from danger while others run toward it. That’s exactly what local military veteran Gerald Wallace did when shots rang out during a deadly shooting at the DMAX plant in Moraine Thursday night.

Wallace was working at the General Motors-owned plant when the shooting happened. He said he heard about eight or nine shots and saw crowds of people running away.

People urged Wallace to do the same, but he said he thought of his 20-year-old son who also works at the plant. He was worried for his son’s safety, so he chose a different path.

“But God told me to go back in there,” Wallace said. “So, I went back in there, and then seeing the guy laying on the ground, he was like, help me, bro, help me, big bro. So, I picked them up and put him over my shoulder and ran out with him, and by the time I was running out, police were running in, and they came quick. I laid him on the ground. The ambulance took him, and that’s all I heard. I heard he was living. So, I’m glad he’s living.”

According to Moraine police, the alleged targeted attack was a domestic dispute over a female co-worker. Wallace said there were altercations between the suspect and the victim before the shooting.

“They told him to stay away from them because I guess he was going down there threatening them,” he said. “They worked at two separate places. He was like, you go back down there again, you get fired, and he just went down there the next day and just shot the dude.”

Wallace said it was not uncommon for workers to bring guns into the facility. DMAX does have a private security company and responded to the scene when the incident occurred.

Wallace said he believes more preventive measures should be put in place.

“Well, I always felt safe, but after that happened, that shows that anything can happen,” he said. “They’re going to have to get some security measures in there, like some metal detectors or something.”

Wallace also shared a message for the victim’s family.

“I just have to give my condolences to the guy that passed away,” Wallace said. “He’s a young guy doing the right thing with his life, not out here in the streets. He decided to get a job, and he wasn’t even safe at the job.”

The man who was injured is not believed to have been involved in the dispute, according to police.

The suspect remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition.