HARRISON TWP., Ohio (WDTN) – One person was taken into custody in connection with a fire at the former Valery Elementary School building Tuesday night.
Around 10:20 p.m. on July 7, deputies responded to 4020 Bradwood Drive for reports of subjects in the building. Deputies saw a group of 10 to 15 individuals running from the scene as they approached. As deputies got closer, the building was found to be on fire.
The immediate area was searched for the individuals involved. One adult male was taken into custody on suspicion of breaking and entering and arson.
Crews at the scene told 2 NEWS the fire is believed to have started in the gym before spreading through nearby hallways. The full extent of damage is unclear at this time.
Officials with Dayton Public Schools were notified.
Authorities tell us the building was vandalized several times over the past few years and was set to be demolished before the fire was set inside the building.
The incident remains under investigation by the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office as well as state and local fire investigators.
- Police: 2 dead, 2 injured after high-speed police pursuit ends in Newport
- Springboro Police need help finding missing teen
- UD students start moving back to campus with added COVID-19 precautions
- Ohio schools can soon begin applying for grants to equip students with internet devices
- Sunny and warmer this weekend as the humidity rises