As many people enjoy their Easter candy this week, veterinarians are urging families to be very careful around their pets.
Chocolate and other items in Easter baskets could make animals seriously ill, according to experts.
Some pet owners told 2 NEWS they take extra precautions around holidays like Easter.
“Basically keep it in jars, keep it sealed so that they can’t get into it,” Michael Kelley said of the candy at his house.
Kelley, who lives in Moraine, said he does what he can to protect his five cats, his dog and his rabbit.
“The rabbit, we don’t have to worry about him,” Kelley laughed. “He just stays in a cage.”
But if you have pets that aren’t in cages, experts recommend keeping the Easter treats out of reach.
At MedVet in Moraine, veterinarians treated a few dogs Easter Sunday who had eaten chocolate, according to Dr. Teresa Schumacher, emergency veterinarian.
“We have seen a few ingestions, chocolate toxiciites, that kind of thing,” she said.
Chocolate isn’t the only candy harmful to dogs, Dr. Schumacher said. Any sugary or fatty foods could cause issues like vomiting or diarrhea, she added.
Cats – well known for being curious creatures – are less interested in the candy but sometimes eat the plastic Easter grass often placed in baskets, Dr. Schumacher said.
“Sometimes you can actually see it in their mouth, and it can actually get trapped in their stomach, so we do often recommend getting some X-rays if they’re vomiting at all after any potential ingestion just to make sure nothing’s stuck in there,” she explained.
If your pet has eaten something he or she shouldn’t have gotten into, Dr. Schumacher recommends calling a local animal hospital to determine if your pet should be brought in for treatment.