Dayton Tornado Victims: How to find help

Local News
060319 milton tornado damage 3

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – If you were a victim of the Memorial Day storms that hit the Miami Valley, here’s a list of resources that are available to you.


FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers, open from 7 am until 7 pm:

Montgomery County and ADAMHS (Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services Board) Family Assistance Center: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 1500 Shiloh Springs Rd. Open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Representatives available from:

  • Public Health – Dayton and Montgomery County
  • American Red Cross
  • Montgomery County Auditor’s Office
  • Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services
  • St. Vincent DePaul
  • United Way
  • HelpLink
  • Ohio BMV
  • ABLE Legal Aid
  • Computer lab available to access insurance claims, public assistance benefits, replacement Medicaid/Medicare cards, senior services information, housing and transportation services

Legal information from ABLE

Food and Water

The deadline to apply for SNAP replacement benefits has been extended to July 5. Click here for more information.

Harrison Township Fire Station 94, open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 2400 Turner Road – food, water, hygiene, household supplies (both receiving and distributing).

Montgomery County Fairgrounds (Matthew 25: Ministries), 645 Infirmary Road – Water, Ice, Food, Other Supplies and Resources, also accepting donations 

The Foodbank, Inc., 56 Armor Place, Dayton – Food and Water 

To find out how you can have water service shut down to your tornado-damaged property for free in Greene County, click here.  

Dayton Water Department customers should call

For service issues, call 937-333-3550

For billing questions: 937-333-4900

For power outage status visit:

Replacing Lost Documents

  • Replace Birth Certificates: 937-496-3117
  • Ohio Pathways Card (OWF/Cash Card): 1-866-669-6109
  • Ohio Direction Card (SNAP/Food Stamp): 1-866-386-3701
  • Ohio E-Quickpay Child Support (thru 6/30): 1-800-503-1283
  • smiOne Child Support Card (effective 7/1): 1-855-279-2744
  • Ohio Medicaid: 1-800-454-3730
  • Caresource: 1-800-488-0134
  • Buckeye Community Health: 1-866-246-4358
  • Amerigroup: 1-800-454-3730
  • Molina: 1-800-642-4168
  • Anthem Partnership Plan: 1-866-408-3131
  • Click here for more information.


  • If you need assistance with moving expenses, rental deposit, rent and utility payments contact the Miami Valley Community Action Partnership at 937-963-9433 for assistance and other resources. You can also reach out to them if you are in need of furniture.
  • If you are a homeowner in need of repair assistance: 
    • CountyCorp: 937-225-6328
    • Rebuilding Together Dayton: 937-223-4893
    • People Working Cooperatively: 513-351-7921
  • Property owners affected by tornadoes can pick up a free copy of property deeds at Montgomery County Recorder’s Office, 451 W. 3rd St., Dayton from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday through Friday. Call 937-225-6381
  • Greater Dayton Premier Management has HUD approval to give additional preference points to people displaced by the tornadoes; income-qualified people may be housed with security deposits waived. Contact 937-910-7500 for more info.
  • If you are a homeowner in need of assistsance with home repairs contact
    CountyCorp: 937-225-6328
    Rebuilding Dayton Together: 937-223-4893
    People Working Cooperatively: 513-351-7921
  • If your property was damaged or destroyed, you may be eligible for a deduction in taxable property value. Click here for more information.
  • Where to dump your remaining storm debris


Job and Family Services

  • Medicaid/QMB Application Hotline: 937-225-6242
  • Regular Applications: 927-225-6347
  • CSS (Medicaid intake/renewal line): 844-640-6446
  • Child Care 937-496-7759
  • State Hearing Requests/Information: 866-635-3748 (option 1)
  • Work Allowance Check Center: 937-225-4600
  • Child Support Hotline: 1-800-860-2555
  • Family Assistance Call Center: 937-225-4148
  • Medicaid Transportation: 937-225-5419
  • Through 2:30 pm on June 26, families with minor children can apply for emergency funding to replace essential lost items by visiting The Job Center, located at 1111 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd. Applicants should bring ID, proof of address, verification of income for the last 30 days, and insurance paperwork, if applicable.

Help for Veterans

  • Montgomery County Veterans Service Commission
    937-225-4801 or email

Mental and Emotional Health

  • Optum Public Crisis Line: 866-342-6892
  • SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline: 800-985-5990, or text ‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746.
  • Samaritan CrisisCare: 937-224-4646

Lost and Found Pets

  • SICSA Pet Adoption Center: email or call 937-294-6505 x. 23 

Tree Care Guildelines Following Storm Damage
Information from Arbor Day Foundation

Harrison Township

For assistance with shelter or food, contact the American Red Cross at 1-800-Red-Cross. Visit the Harrison Twp. Facebook page for a list of resources or call 937-890-5611 between 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.





Latest Video on

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS