Dayton house explodes, 1 seriously injured

Local News

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) — A man was seriously injured after a house exploded in a Dayton neighborhood early Thursday.

It happened just after 1 a.m. Thursday on George Street, near Ruskin Elementary School.

Fire officials say a man was trying to light a pilot light on his water heater when the gas exploded. The house caught fire after the explosion, causing the roof to collapse.

The man was seriously injured. Medics took him to Miami Valley Hospital.

Three other people inside the house were able to escape without injury. They planned to stay with a neighbor. Fire officials say Red Cross would not be called to the scene.

Fire crews had to let the house burn, attacking the fire from the outside, due to the roof collapse. Vectren was called to shut off the gas before crews could finally contain the fire.

Firefighters sprayed water on a neighboring house to prevent the fire from spreading.

Grab the FREE WDTN News App for iPhone or Android. Stay up to date with all the local news, weather and sports as well as live newscasts and events as they happen.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for all the latest news, weather and sports.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video on WDTN.com

Don't Miss

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS