DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) – Dayton Children’s celebrated International Day of the Girl on Friday. Female orthopedic doctors visited patients, with the goal of inspiring the next generation of girls.
One six percent of orthopedic doctors in the United States are female, and three of them work at Dayton Children’s.
“Breaking through that old boys’ club and the stigma, and just being confident and strong that I have the same skills and even certain other skills that could make me a better physician than maybe they are,” said Dr. Sarah Steward of her success in the field.
She adds that she wants to encourage girls to go into non-traditional career paths.Grab the FREE WDTN News App from the Apple Store or Google play. Stay up to date with all the local news, weather and sports as well as live newscasts and events as they happen.
- America’s cars could soon stop drunk drivers from driving at all
- Trump rule may mean 1 million kids lose automatic free lunch
- NASA asks Congress for more money to get back to the moon
- Study links seasonal allergies to crime rate
- Sheriff’s Office receives donation for new K-9 in honor of fallen officer