TIPP CITY, Ohio (WDTN) — Firefighters respond after a church caught fire in Tipp City.

Around 5 pm on Sunday, Tipp City firefighters and EMS were called to the Church of Nazarene on W. Main Street after smoke was spotted coming from the sanctuary.

According to the Tipp City Fire Department, none of the smoke detectors had gone off, and the fire was not discovered until a youth pastor was opening the building for youth group activities.

Firefighters located the source of the fire in the sanctuary near the altar. They quickly put out the flames and made sure the fire did not spread.

According to the Fire Department, the fire was likely caused by an advent candle that had not been blown out after the morning’s services. Investigators said the fire was unintentional.

No one was injured in the blaze, and most of the damage was limited to smoke inside the church. Damages are estimated at $50,000 for the property and $25,000 for the contents.

West Milton Fire Department and a Union Township ambulance were on scene for mutual aid.