TROY, Ohio (WDTN) — A woman died and two small children were hospitalized after a crash in Miami County early Friday.
The crash happened just after 5 a.m. Friday on S.R. 202 near Fulton Farms, south of Troy.
The Miami County Sheriff’s Office says a passerby alerted a deputy in the area to the crash.
When the deputy arrived at the scene, he found a Jeep that had run off the road and flipped over.
Initial investigation suggests the Jeep had traveled off the side of the road and the driver overcorrected, running off the other side of the roadway before overturning.
The 26-year-old woman driving the vehicle had not been wearing her seat belt and was ejected. She was pronounced dead at the scene and later identified as Caroline Tucker, of Troy.
Investigators say she may have fell asleep, and drugs and alcohol are not suspected to be factors.
Authorities say the woman’s 3-year-old and 4-year-old were in the backseat of the vehicle. One was buckled in while the other was not, though officials say the child may have unbuckled themselves.
CareFlight transported both children to Dayton Children’s Hospital. We’re told they were both alert and talking to the deputies when they were found, though their exact condition is unknown at this time.
One of the children said they were coming from a family member’s house.
The Miami County Sheriff’s Office shut down S.R. 202 in both directions due to the crash. The road reopened around 8:40 a.m. Friday.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Florida school district investigating claims that cheerleader was forced to kneel during anthem
- Skull found on fireplace mantle that of missing Tennessee man
- Social media scams have cost consumers $117M already this year – Here’s what to look out for
- ‘A new start’: 17 Mississippi inmates baptized by department’s ministry
- Top White House health official says Bismarck’s virus protocols the worst she’s seen