MORAINE, Ohio (WDTN) – ‘American Factory,’ the 2019 documentary on the Fuyao plant in Moraine, garnered love from the Academy Awards Monday, receiving a nomination in the “Documentary Feature” category.
The full list on nominations were announced Monday by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
The film, by award-winning directors Steve Bognar and Julia Reichert, tells the story of the clash of cultures when Chinese-based Fuyao moved into the old GM plant in Moraine.
“It’s a huge thrill. We were overwhelmed, very excited, but also feeling tremendous gratitude to everyone in Dayton who supported this film, especially everyone who works at Fuyao,” Bognar said.
This is also the first title to be released by Higher Ground Productions, formed by former President and First Lady Barack and Michelle Obama.
Barack tweeted his congratulations to the filmmakers, saying “it’s the kind of story we don’t see often enough”:
‘American Factory’ debuted in August on Netflix. The Oscars are set for Feb. 9.
- Coroner identifies woman hit, killed by driver in Dayton
- Poll: More than 50 percent of Ohio restaurants could close within 9 months
- Stein Mart files for bankruptcy amid pandemic turmoil
- Kentucky Derby races on with updated public safety measures in place
- OSU cuts class sizes, will test on-campus students weekly to fight COVID-19