911 caller discusses deadly trench collapse

Local News

Officials are continuing their investigation into what caused Saturday’s trench collapse that left one person dead.

The trench collapse was reported Saturday afternoon near Sunset Creek Court in the Landings at Sugarcreek housing development.

According to family members, Dalbert Burton was the worker killed. It’s not yet clear why he was alone at the site.

Workers were back on the site of the collapsed, 8-foot deep trench Sunday afternoon, which remained blocked off with caution tape. Construction trucks on site were at a standstill, which is similar to what neighbors noticed Saturday before they knew something was wrong.

“Talking to one of my neighbors yesterday, they actually noticed that the tractor behind us had been in the same position for a long time and asked if I noticed the same thing,” said Nathan Hiester, a Beavercreek Township battalion fire chief who lives one street over.

Hiester said his son offered to check on the site and quickly returned.

“He rode his bike over there and came back and told me that somebody was down in the bottom of the hole and didn’t respond to him when he called to him,” Hiester said.

It’s not uncommon to see construction crews working in the development on the weekends, Hiester said, adding that at least one of the workers is friendly with his son.

Hiester said he believes the incident serves as a reminder to families with young children in the neighborhood of the hazards on construction sites.

“I think everybody’s concerned about the things that are in our neighborhood, and we’re just using this opportunity to talk to our kids about the dangers of construction sites and why they need to stay away,” he said.

The sales office for the development was closed Sunday. A representative for Inverness Homes, which oversees the development, told 2 NEWS another staff member could provide more information on Monday.

According to Sugarcreek Township police, OSHA is now leading the investigation into the trench collapse. We’ve reached out to officials with the Department of Labor and are waiting to hear back.

Grab the FREE WDTN News App for iPhone or Android. Stay up to date with all the local news, weather and sports as well as live newscasts and events as they happen.

news-app-download-apple-350x50
news-app-download-android-350x50

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for all the latest news, weather and sports.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

9-4 donate dayton strong

Latest Video on WDTN.com

Only on WDTN.com | Phil Wiedenheft

More Phil Wiedenheft

Interactive Radar

More As Seen on 2 NEWS