CENTERVILLE, Ohio (WDTN) – A 17-year-old girl was attacked by a man wielding a mallet on the Iron Horse Trail in Centerville Thursday.
The Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office said late Friday charges have been approved against 33-year-old Johnny Hansen, including:
- Two counts of kidnapping
- Two counts of felonious assault
- Two counts of tampering with evidence
Centerville Police told 2 NEWS officers were called to Iron Horse Park on a report of an assault. Hansen was arrested on charges of felonious assault and taken to the Montgomery County Jail.
Officer John Davis of the Centerville Police Department said Friday the attack was random and Hansen did not know the victim. A neighbor, Davis said, heard the teen scream and intervened. Hansen then left the scene and moved around the park in what police say was an attempt to evade capture.
Police caught Hansen and recovered the mallet they say was used in the attack. The teen suffered “significant, non-life-threatening” injuries in the attack.
Police told 2 NEWS the motive for this attack is unknown and the incident is still under investigation.
The Centerville-Washington Park District released a statement Friday about the attack.
“We were saddened to hear about the recent incident along the Iron Horse Trail, but were pleased to learn our Centerville Police Department responded quickly to apprehend the suspect.”Carrie Dittman – Centerville-Washington Park District
2 NEWS will continue to follow this developing story and keep you updated when more information is available.
- Public Health discusses what Level 4 guidelines could look like
- Texas woman asked to take down ‘inappropriate’ skeleton display in front yard
- Oklahoma twins’ TikTok election video gets millions of views
- Less than a week: Key dates as we approach Election Day
- FBI warns ransomware assault threatens US healthcare system