MIAMI TWP., Ohio (WDTN) – The Montgomery County Coroner has identified the man who died after a shooting on I-75 southbound as James L. Brown, 64, of West Carrollton.
Miami Township police say the shooting happened around 12:15 on Monday afternoon near Austin Boulevard when someone shot at a gray SUV. The coroner has not confirmed the cause of death at this time.
The highway was shut down as police investigated, eventually reopening to traffic around 3 p.m.
A witness at the scene told 2 NEWS Reporter Adam Rife that the victim “didn’t stand a chance.” He says he was driving past Austin Landing just after noon when a man leaned out the back of an SUV and shot into the other car several times.
The witness says the incident did not appear to be a gunfight and there was no exchange of gunfire.
Miami Township police say they discovered a car matching the description in Middletown but it was not the suspect vehicle. Officer McCoy with Miami Township said the department is asking for any footage witnesses collected with their dashcam, including semi drivers.
Authorities initially said three people were detained but that two of the three were released.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol responded to the scene, as well as police from Springboro, Miamisburg, the City of Franklin, and the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.
Anyone who witnessed the shooting or has information is asked to call Miami Township police.
- Man who fatally stabbed Pentagon officer had troubled past
- WPAFB upgrades to HPCON Bravo after 25 vaccinated base personnel test positive for COVID-19
- Miami Valley Hospital’s medical team reflects on Oregon District shooting 2 years later
- Dayton officials in ‘very early stages’ of planning permanent Oregon District shooting memorial
- Frozen honey: New TikTok trend will likely result in ‘a lot of diarrhea,’ gastroenterologist says